Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog died today from HARTZ ULTRA GUARD FLEA AND TICK. SHE…

Customer Question
My dog died today...

My dog died today from HARTZ ULTRA GUARD FLEA AND TICK. SHE WAS A WEST SIBERIAN LAIKA 1 YR. OLD. I HEAR IT HAPPENS ALOT WITH THESE PRODUCTS.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

SADIE

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about SADIE?

SHE WAS SUPER HEALTHY AND I PUT THIS ON HER LAST NIGHT AND BY NOON SHE WAS FOAMING AT THE MOUTH SEIZURES, WALKING BACKWARDS, COULDNT BREATHE, DIDNT RESPOND TO ME. FAST HEART RATE. SHE PASSED ON THE WAY TO VET. THEY COULDNT HELP HER.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry to read about your Beloved Sadie's passing. You are correct about Complaints about The Hartz products. There are a lot of complaints we we especially in cats. This link is some of the complaints posted: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/hartz.html

Over the counter flea and tick treatment like Hatz or Sargents have this reputation. I would never recommend them for any dog or cat.

There are safer treatments on the Market that can be gotten from a Vet.

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Joan

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian