Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is dragging her right rear leg. Moriah, an Irish

Customer Question
She is dragging her...

She is dragging her right rear leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Moriah, an Irish Wolfhound age 6 years 10 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moriah?

She had an injury to her neck in June where she returned from x-rays and crying out sharply in pain whenever she moved. She had no problems before this.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Moriah. How long has she been dragging her leg?

Is she eating and drinking, and normal otherwise?

She is also a cardiac patient with arrythmia and Cardiomyopathy diagnosed in January and the later in May after an echo
She is eating fine, this morning she did not drink this morning.

I am so sorry but I can't make calls for the website; that offer did not come from me!

This could be a blood clot if she has cardiomyopathy. It could also be a problem in her spine affecting the nerves to that leg (stroke, pinched nerve or inflamed disc) or a problem in the leg itself (pain, arthritis, and it has to be a consideration in this breed, a bone tumor).

If you put her foot upside down, with the top of the foot on the floor and the pads up, does she correct it to a normal position?

She got up at 5am for a pee break and all was well. Last night she was walking with a little scuffling on that rear leg. I bought her a bootie to protect the leg Last night she was moving very fast with minimum scuffing. Only at 11am when she first got up she was dragging her leg. Last night she had jumped up suddenly because the doggie gate fell over, but she was ok as I said even at 5am
She would correct her foot until this am. I have had to do it for her since then.

If she does not correct it, and leaves the foot upside down, this is probably a nerve problem.

Feel both hind feet; is that foot cooler or warmer than the opposite foot?

They appear to be the same, but I have a sock and bootie on the one that is dragging.
What would cause such a sudden onset of this problem. From 5am normal to 11am dragging her foot behind her.

If she has a heart problem, it could be that she threw a clot in her leg or her spine; that would be very sudden.

Problems in the spine, such as inflamed discs, can be very sudden.

I would have this checked out as soon as it is possible to get her to your veterinarian. It could be serious, and the sooner it is treated the better.

Is that more likely than Degenerative myelopathy?
Send+ Add filesChoose File
We just had a power failure. my question did not transmitIs heart or nerve more likely than Degenerative myelopathy?
Send+ Add filesChoose File

Degenerative myelopathy would affect both hind legs, and would not come on suddenly but gradually.

She had recent x-rays of spine which were ok, but there were some problems in her neck. Is there any hope for her?? When I read the Degenerative myelopathy it sounded like she would have to be put down. If it is a clot or pinched nerve, will she have a chance of recovery?

An Xray of the spine does not show the spinal cord, nerves, or discs.

There is hope for her, but the sooner she gets medical attention, the better.

I really don't think this is degenerative myelopathy. That comes on very gradually, and affects the spine symmetrically; you would not see sudden dragging of just one hind leg.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and what other questions you may have.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows to credit me for assisting you!

I did not hear back from you; how is she doing? Please let me know if you have any other questions, and if this was helpful.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?