Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog chased and got in a fight with a raccoon. This

Customer Question
My dog chased and...

My dog chased and got in a fight with a raccoon. This happened about 4 hours ago. Her rabies vaccine is up to date. The only wound I could find on her was that her bot***** *****p was bleeding. I don't see any tear but her lip and chin are now swollen. She is sleeeping now but the only thing that worries me is she is trembling.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No, she still has an appetite. it's just the trembling that worries me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about your dog fighting with a raccoon.

Even if she is vaccinated, it is recommended to get a booster for rabies, after being bitten by something like a raccoon.

The swelling of her lip and chin could indicate the wound is infected, and that would be expected with a raccoon bite. If there is infection, she might have a fever which could cause trembling. Pain could also cause trembling.

Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer? Normal is 101.5F

She may need antibiotics. I would have her checked out, and boostered for rabies, as soon as you can.

How is your dog doing; I did not hear back from you! Please let me know if my answer was helpful and what other questions you may have.

How is she doing today?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian