Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

There is a bump on my dogs right leg quarter and a hole

Customer Question
There is a bump...

There is a bump on my dogs right leg quarter and a hole almost underneath it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucke 10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lucke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucke?

He has many warts and I am thinking this is another one

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this bump/hole to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

It's an angry wound with considerable inflammation surrounding it. If there's been no history of trauma, a mast cell tumor becomes an important consideration. These are locally invasive and can metastasize and so time is of the essence in having this attended to by his vet. An impression smear or needle aspirate of this tissue can be performed. Mast cells are easy to identify microscopically. The best scenario is that this represents an infected wound which will only require a topical and systemic antibiotic. I don't see any evidence of a sebaceous gland tumor often described as a "wart". Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I disinfected the wound with 50% alcohol then witch hazel. Afterward I used Dermaplast and then the bleeding stopped. The wound looks smaller now for some reason.

You can continue to disinfect it but the extent of inflammation surrounding it suggests that a systemic antibiotic should be on board if this represents a simple infected wound. If it's neoplastic instead, e.g., mast cell tumor, cutaneous hemangiosarcoma, no amount of cleaning will suffice.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian