Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a healthy spayed 5-year-old Boxer in excellent

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a healthy spayed 5-year-old Boxer in excellent condition, being fed good nutritious diet and free access to water. Suddenly last night she began vomiting (first all undigested food, then periodic bouts of vomiting bile). When she urinates, the color is quite dark, (though no odor) while normally it's pale yellow. She was able to do a small bowel movement (everything else was already vomited). This stool was Day-Glow orange. I'm mystified since this came on literally in a matter of 12 hours out of nowhere and I keep the house dog- proofed so nothing she could have gotten into, and no change of diet. This is a very active, exuberant Boxer who is behaving depressed, lethargic, disinterested in food but WILL take water. I'm very concerned and completely confused what's going on and how this happened literally overnight. Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Nothing of importance... she has a grain allergy and eats Taste of the Wild. Had a check up in May and got a clean bill of health. She's a bundle of energy, good weight, etc. For this to happen so suddenly (and of course, on a weekend), I'm at a total loss to understand. Thank you so much for your help!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Are you seeing any yellowing of the eyes or skin?

Hi, sorry for the delay, just received your response. No, her diet remains unchanged and strictly controlled, and I do have a dog-proofed home to avoid issues like getting into trash or other off-limits items. No human food and especially no bones are ever given (my girls have Kong Balls, which are replaced when they get too "chewed up"). No yellowing of eyes or skin, but I did notice upon inspection that her gums and tongue seem very pale, leading me to wonder if there is an anemic process in play. I'm guessing I'll need to take her to the veterinary urgent care, but was hoping for some idea of what might be going on in the meantime. I'm beside myself with worry and any concrete answers would be most welcome.Thank you!

I think urgent care would be wise. They'll want to check her liver enzymes and determine if she's anemic. If so, she may be experiencing an immune mediate condition. Do you need help finding a location in your area?

Checking in. How is your companion at this time?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse