Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My minature poodle was hit by a car and she is limping i…

Customer Question
My minature poodle was...

My minature poodle was hit by a car and she is limping i took her to the vet and they did an ex-ray the showed the hip had fractured he suggested surgery and i cant afford surgery for her this happened on tuesday night thursday i took her at first after the accident she wouldnt want to get up but she eats good and she also urinates good and goes well no problems there but she is in less pain and she is not putting any weight on it what do you suggest i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

London

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is London?

10yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about London?

She not acting any diffrent she still wants to get up and walk around she does not want to be confined to the kennel she very active

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What medication is London on at this time?

I don’t know the name of it because I don’t have it in front of me I give it to after she eats

I'll need the information from that medication. Is there someone at home or near the vial that can share the information back for you?

The vet gave it to me
I’ll have to wait until I get home to get back to you I’m at work

That's fine. I'll be happy to assist you further once that information is available.

It’s called maticam an antibiotic

Metacam, by chance? If so, this is an NSAID, not an antibiotic.

a antibiotic he gave me both

Okay, with that information, we can move forward.

Unfortunately, she's going to be painful for weeks to come and I would talk to your vet about using more than just an NSAID for her if she's non-weight bearing on one of her limbs. She would benefit from pain medication, as well, such as tramadol, gabapentin, etc. She does need to be kenneled for the next 6-12 weeks as she recovers. You may wish to consider sequestering her to a small empty closet or similar if she prefers not to be in a kennel. It's imperative that she does not jump and cannot fall off of anything, so no sleep on furniture or in bed. The less strong activity the better. If she's apt to be active, talk to your vet about acepromazine to calm her enough for rest, as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is London today?