Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just adopted a 10 year old yellow lab out of a breeding…

Customer Question
I just adopted a 10...
I just adopted a 10 year old yellow lab out of a breeding program. She is scheduled to be spayed on Monday. However, she went into heat today. Can I still spay her or can I get some ovarian?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Or should I get some ovaban?
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Nickie can still be spayed although many surgeons prefer not to spay dogs in heat because the uterine tissue is more friable at that time and vasculature is engorged with blood. Ovaban (megestrol acetate) should be avoided during heat - particularly prolonged heat - unless cystic ovarian disease is confirmed and surgery isn't a viable option. This drug is eschewed by many vets because of its extensive adverse effect profile including increased appetite and weight gain, lethargy, change in behavior or hair color; mucometria/endometritis/cystic endometrial hyperplasia - a moot point as the uterus will be removed; mammary enlargement and neoplasia, acromegaly, adrenocortical suppression, or lactation (rare). There's also one case in which a dog developed diabetes mellitus after its use (more common in cats). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

No thanks
Thank you.

You're welcome. Regretfully, only a pic of window blinds downloaded!

Hi Joanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nickie. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian