Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Japanese Privet tree in my backyard. It was just…

Customer Question
I have a Japanese...

I have a Japanese Privet tree in my backyard. It was just trimmed a few days ago and berries have fallen everywhere. I think my puppy ate some but she is showing no sign of trouble. I see the privet hedge berries are poisonous. Is this also true for the Japanese Privet tree? If so, I will have to have it cut down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your puppy ate?

I think she may have had a small amount of the berries listed above.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

If she ate them it was yesterday and she shows no sign of anything wrong.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What I can find online says that the tree and shrub are both toxic. Typically we see that leaves and berries are toxic but they need to be consumed in a fairly substantial amount to cause major symptoms. We usually see nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in heart rate, weakness and drunken staggering. Fatalities are uncommon without dogs eating a large volume of berries, leaves and such. We'd expect to have witnessed symptoms by now, so you can continue to watch your companion. If she shows no signs of problems, she likely either consumed none or not enough to cause symptoms. In lieu of cutting the tree down, I would keep it well trimmed and anytime you intend to have work done (or do work) on the tree to leave her inside until all berries, leaves, branches and so forth are raked up and discarded safely out of her reach.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse