Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just dropped an advil tablet on the floor and my dog

Customer Question
I just dropped an...

I just dropped an advil tablet on the floor and my dog scooped it up and ate it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

5 months old and weighs 14 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chase

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your puppy Chase got ahold of some liquid Advil (active ingredient Ibuprofen) and I understand that you are concerned. This human fever and pain reliever can be toxic for dogs, but they do need to ingest a certain amount per pound of body weight to see symptoms. I see he is about 14 pounds but I have some questions for you to try to determine whether he ate enough to cause signs of toxicity.

1. What was the mg size of the tablet he ate? (the usual, regular strength is 200mgs)
  2. Is he taking any medications right now?
  3. Is he otherwise healthy?
  4. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
200 and it was a tablet

Regular Advil contains 200mgs of ibuprofen per pill.

At 14 pounds he is about 6.36kgs, so he ingested about 31.45mgs per kilogram of body weight (200mg/6.36kg = 31.45mg/kg) which is just over a toxic amount, IF he ate the entire 200mg pill.

From the ASPCA database:

◾25-125mg per kg of body weight – symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;

◾more than 175mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;

◾more than 400mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;

◾more than 600mg per kg of body weight – death.

Given the amount he ate I would induce vomiting.

Induce vomiting by giving him 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight (1 &1/2 tablespoons for a 14 pound dog) directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take him out and run him around to get the peroxide fizzing.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.

If you do not have peroxide, or he does not vomit he should be taken to a veterinary clinic to induce vomiting.

If he vomits the pill then you can give:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/2 of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours,

These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. They should be given for 2-3 weeks in a dog with a known toxic ibuprofen ingestion (Advil).

To decrease any stomach upset further you can feed him a bland diet for the next several days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.

Push fluids to replace the fluids lost with looser than usual stools and to support his kidneys.

Things to watch for that mean trouble include vomiting, especially blood tinged, dark, black or tarry stools, or frank blood in the stools, lack of an appetite, increased water consumption and urination.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****