Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 16 year old husky is punting none stop. Just panting.

Customer Question
My 16 year old...

My 16 year old husky is punting none stop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Husky?

Just panting

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Husky seem to hurt?

Doesn't seem to be hurting hard for him to get up

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Husky. What is the Husky's name?

Titon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Titon?

No we get blood work on him yearly nothing show anything

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Titon. There are quite a few considerations when excessive panting arises at his advanced age and many won't be reflected in blood work

Excessive panting can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticoid (a steroid such as prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity. Unless this behavior abates spontaneously, it would be prudent to have Titon's vet attend to him once more. I would expect a thorough physical exam at this time to include not only blood and urine tests but also X-rays of his chest and ultrasound of his abdomen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian