Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Puppy 9 weeks has diarrhea,eating drinking, running around…

Customer Question
Puppy 9 weeks has...

Puppy 9 weeks has diarrhea,eating drinking, running around checked out at the vet ok now has this problem what can I do till Monday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?

Keoni

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keoni?

Not to knowledge

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup Keoni's loose stools, but I am glad that she seems to feel well otherwise.

Although we sometimes use it for loose stools that we know are due to a quick diet change I don't normally recommend using Imodium or Lomotil as it works by slowing the gastrointestinal tract down so that water in the stool can be reabsorbed. It is a narcotic and can lead to sedation and in some dogs can stop normal gut movements entirely. If the diarrhea is related to a bacterial toxin the Imodium allows more toxin to be absorbed.

Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Although very unlikely at her young age it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or a mass in the intestinal tract.

In a young puppy the two most common causes of chronic loose stools include parasites and a dietary intolerance/allergy.

Do you know if she got into anything that may have started all of this?

Since she is feeling well otherwise I am less concerned. If not she should be checked by her regular veterinarian if she's not bouncing back quickly with the suggestions that I give you.

Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too even if she seems to improve as parasites are a common cause of loose stools in young dogs and parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

If she still feels well now though we can try some things at home.

I would not feed her any food for 6 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with diarrhea. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. This will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
You should also add probiotics to her bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.

Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If she begins vomiting and is feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian