Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Italian Greyhound was stung multiple times in private…

Customer Question
My Italian Greyhound was...

My Italian Greyhound was stung multiple times in private area and foot. what can I do--severe pain and shes biting pp as we try to look

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Chole almost five years old (IN November) she has stopped yelping

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

She is crying still but quitely.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What was she stung by?

How long ago?

Hello again,

I have not heard back but as Chloe sounds distressed I do want to cover what we can do here. First if it was a bee, you can apply baking soda and water can help neutralize bee venom. For wasps, we need to use vinegar. And afterwards, we can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to the sting sites to reduce inflammation and pain. Plus to counter the allergic reaction effects of these stings, you can give an OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Of course, if we use these and she is still severely uncomfortable then we'd want her local vet to see her with a view to treating her with injectable steroids to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian