Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My golden retrievers mouth is seollen on one side. She is…

Customer Question
My golden retrievers mouth is...
My golden retrievers mouth is seollen on one side. She is still eating and drinking but listless.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this swelling to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Have you taken a look inside those lips? This type of sweling can occur from intraoral lesions such as a tumor or envenomations by flying insects or spiders.

I just see a lot of that brown tissue on the swollen side. She will let me rub it but I'm not sure what i am looking for.

The brown tissue is her normal - albeit swollen, lips. I'm concerned that there may be something - a tumor? - in the oral cavity between those lips and her teeth. It's more likely that she was envenomated, however, and in that case her lips should normalize within 36 hours. Simply monitoring her over the weekend is appropriate. If the swelling didn't abate by Monday, please have her vet thoroughly examine that area. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian