Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is having some trouble controlling her bowels. We've…

Customer Question
She is having some...

She is having some trouble controlling her bowels. We've noticed that she started pooping on the driveway and brick walkway instead of the grass, and over the past month she has pooped twice in her bed and 3 other times in the house. She is a 15 yr. old dalmatian/pointer mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Maggie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

In March 2015 she went 36 hours without eating or going outside. Our vet said she could have spleen or other issues and we decided against further treatment. She suggested we start to feed her boiled chicken and rice along with her kibble, and said she probably didn't have a lot of time left. That was 2.5 years ago. She won't walk up or down the wooden steps in our house for about the past year.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

She walks up and down the steps outside (stone and deck) but I think the inside steps are too steep and slippery. She has also lost weight over the past 2 years and is pretty thin.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Sometimes if a dog has had trauma to the rectal area such as continued anal gland issues, fecal incontinence will develop as a result of a loss of muscle tone in the sphincter. This can also be caused by an injury to the back or a problem with an invertebral disc. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

It might also be a perineal hernia which you can read about here.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/perineal-hernia/page1.aspx

Large dog breeds sometimes suffer from a condition called degenerative myelopathy which can also cause problems with the rear legs and paralyses. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/degenerative-myelopathy/page1.aspx

A few things that can help with this are adding fiber to the diet to firm up the feces. A few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) added to the food works well for this purpose. Also there is one drug that can be prescribed which is phenylpropanolamine which can help tighten the sphincter muscle. It works better on smooth muscles but still may help the rectal tissue and honestly most experts feel is does nothing for fecal incontinence.

You can read about this here:

http://www.prnpharmacal.com/proin/

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/monographs/phenylpropanolamine.asp

I wished I had better news for you but it is likely that you do not have much time left with her. She is quite elderly for her breed and you may need to start thinking about euthanasia when her quality of life deteriorates to the the point where she has nothing she enjoys doing or she is in constant pain.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.