Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua has been scratching and her skin is very

Customer Question
My chihuahua has been...

My chihuahua has been scratching and her skin is very irritated an she is loosing the hair in the spots she scratches. I have tried replacing the shampoo but it does not work. Any recommendations?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Chihuahua?

She is a little overweight, she is 2 years old,

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Chihuahua's name?

Bella

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

You had gone off line, but I wanted to give you an answer to try and help your dog.

Unfortunately, allergens can be airborne, inhaled, ingested or contact. Dogs can develop food allergies at any times even if they have been on the same food for a long period of time The most common causes of food allergies in dogs are beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy.

The first thing I would do is to have the dog into the Vet for some blood work to rule out any medical issues for Thyroid, Yeast infection, Mites, Pyoderma which is a skin infection or Mange. I would have the dog on a good Topical Flea Preventative like Frontline Plus or Advantage ll doe dogs. This will help with any flea issues.

Many times we see dogs have this type of issue due to food allergies. The following article discusses how to do a food trial in-depth this is the same instructions that is given out at most Vet offices. It is recommended to try a different protein source such as duck, rabbit, kangaroo or Bison and grain free We often see dogs do well on a different protein only to develop an allergy to this as well later down the road. Purina HA or Science diet ZD are top of the line allergen diets. These foods have had the molecules broken down to the point that the body can not identify what they are getting thereby eliminating all chance of an allergic reaction

Read more here
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=143

When trying a food trial it is very important that they get no other foods no treats or human foods as this will void out the food trial. This can take 6-8 weeks to show improvement so you must stick with it. Should you opt to try the trial and your baby is a treat eater here is a recipe you can make using his food as to not jeopardize the trial. http://www.gourmet-dog-treat-recipes.com/hypoallergenic-dog-treats.html

For Bathing you can use Aveeno Oatmeal Colloidal Bath, that can be used on a regular basis to help with the itching. Some of the products sold at the Pet shops can actually aggravate the issues. For Itching there is a leave in conditioner called Resicort that will help with the itching after the bath and you can get this from your Vet.

Until you can get this started you can try plain Benedryl to help relieve some of the itching. It can be given at 1 mgs per pound of body weight every 8 hours. This is only a first aid measure and is like a band aid over a major surgery. It is only a temporary measure.

There is a Medication that can be gotten via the Vet called Atopica. it is used for allergies and has been found to be a blessing for dogs with year round allergies. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1275+2010&aid=3069

Atopica is much safer than the steroids that are usually offered for this type of problem. As it does not contain the steroids which can put weight on a dog as well as steroid related issues.

This link I am going to give you goes over some of the grain free foods and makes it easy to compare them: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

The best food I have found to try is Natural Ba***** *****D with a different protein source like Bison, Venison or Duck. I have just had a client do this and after 6 weeks has had no issues with scratching or the ear infections that the dog had prior to the food change.

The Omega 6 fatty acids are also a good supplement for skin issues and can be given safely to a dog with allergies. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1060

I believe if you see the Vet first and rule out medical issues, then try the change in Diet, Atopica, Omega 6, Probiotics and use the Aveeno bath first you may find the key to helping your baby stay itch free. I would try the food trial with the Natutal Ba***** *****D and see if it gives any relief. You have to stick with it, but this may be a simple solution to a serious allergy problem that you are fighting with.

Joan

I am checking in to see if you had any questions about this information. I am here to assist you and your dog.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician