Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a German Shepard/Lab mix female and her right nostril…

Customer Question
Hi there I have...

Hi there I have a German Shepard/Lab mix female and her right nostril is swollen and very cracked and dry. Can I give her anything before I take her to the vet on Monday?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 12 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Madison?

I can’t think of anything off the top of my head.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of her nostril to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

It's a bit out of focus but I can see significant hyperkeratotic changes on her nose - that roughened area on top of her nose is most indicative of hyperkeratosis. Keratin is a structural protein in skin. The area on the side of her right nostril may represent secondary infection and fissuring of hyperkeratotic skin but it can also indicate an autoimmune skin disorder such as discoid lupus erythematosus. For now, see if you can hydrate these areas with warm water and then coat them with petrolatum jelly (e.g., Vaseline). Madison will lick off most of what you apply but you can apply the non-toxic jelly frequently throughout the day. Her vet can treat more specifically by adding a topical antibiotic/glucocorticoid (steroid) cream to the above therapy +/- systemic drugs. Biopsy is needed to confirm autoimmune skin disorders but perhaps that can be avoided if Madison responds nicely to conservative care. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you very much for your professional diagnosis. I will hydrate the area with Vaseline until I can get her into her vet on Monday. Thank you again for your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.