Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husband picked up a little stray dog on Thursday

Customer Question
My husband picked up...

My husband picked up a little stray dog on Thursday 28/9....it is terribly malnourished and underfed. I have taken it to our local vet who checked him out quite thoroughly and could find nothing obviously wrong. Last night he started having seizures and has had three today...making it four in total. What could be the cause of this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

We called him Jasper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?

We don t know anu

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did the vets do any tests or was it just an exam?

What are you feeding Jasper?

no tests were done.....only exam. I received a free sample of Royal Canin puppy pellets which I've been giving him

Hello again,

Now I am quite worried about Jasper. We can see seizures with epilepsy or if he did get into something toxic where he was previously but with a starvation history I'd be especially concerned about organ function (ie liver, kidney) but also possible electrolyte imbalances from his getting a rush of nutrition after being starved so long. The latter is known as "refeeding syndrome" and is quite common when food is given too quickly to starved animals or even people. so, if he has had 4 so far, we really want him back to his vet right away. We need bloods to check for organ issues and assess his electrolytes. IV fluids may be needed and short term anti-seizure medication at the very least to stabilize him and give him a chance here.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you doctor....my husband has been saying that maybe the sudden "food overload" is causing imbalances in his system...just like you mention in your reply to me! I will take him to my vet so that she can do the necessary tests or whatever is necessary to help Jasper.

You are very welcome, my dear.

It is so common and so people realize (since obviously we all want to feed starving animals and they are just as keen to eat). But that sounds like a perfect plan of action for Jasper and I wish you all the best here. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

I took Jasper to my vet this morning....she drew blood to do tests and has found that he has evere anaemia, swelling of liver and his little body is under a huge amount of stress. She has kept him there for monitoring and to start him on medication in the meantime.

Hello again,

The poor lad, his body has certainly been under stress but hopefully if we can address these changes for him we can get him stable and through all he has been through.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.
I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )*

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian