Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog ate 2-3 used tampoons 2 days ago and noe he is

Customer Question
Our dog ate 2-3...

Our dog ate 2-3 used tampoons 2 days ago and noe he is having great difficulty going poop. Will miralax help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Sheldon

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long since he last passed stool?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Last stool yesterday, but very runny. Does not appear to have any belly discomfort. Gums are normal color and moist. No gagging or lips licking or vomiting

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see Sheldon doesn't have those more severe signs, but we need to be very careful here. The loose stool suggests that the tampons are causing a partial blockage and that is all that can pass. And while we can try the Miralax (3-5ml every 8 hours), there is concern that we will just have more loose stool instead of getting these moving. So, as you try that do also add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and try to push these through the intestines.

Though as you try each, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this stage this sounds like we do have a partial obstruction. So, we can consider the above steps for him while keeping a close eye. Though if we see any of those other signs or he doesn't pass these in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want him examined +/- x-rayed to assess if we have to remove these surgically or with a scope (if they are low enough)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian