Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old lab that recently stopped using her…

Customer Question
I have a 13...

I have a 13 year old lab that recently stopped using her hind legs. We have been to the vet and she's on anti inflammatory and pain pills. Curious if we need to express her bladder. She has pooped this morning but has not peed yet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Her name is Lexi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexi?

They've done X-rays and say she has hip dysplasia and are hopeful that she will regain use of her legs because she was respondent to some of the tests.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did her vet diagnose spinal or nerve disease?

Does she have any voluntary movement in her back legs?

Does she have control of her passing stool?

How long has it been since she last passed urine?

She can still sit up, but she drags her legs to move.
No diagnosis yet. We will be going back for an MRI tomorrow.
I think she has control of her stool, she woke my husband up and while he was getting dressed to take her outside she pooped in the room. So I don't know if that means she has control.
We haven't noticed that she's peed since yesterday afternoon ...but we weren't watching to see.

Hello again,

Now if they are planning an MRI that does make me concerned that we have a spinal/nerve issue and therefore there is a risk that she cannot control her urination. Now we'd hope this is less of an issue for her if she has fecal control but as the "default setting" for the urinary sphincter is closed, we do sometimes need to express these dogs. So, if it has been >24hours and urine holding due to reduced mobility is less likely, we may just need to apply gentle pressure to the bladder region. To see how to do this, I'd suggest watching this video (HERE) and of course be very gentle since we don't want to damage her bladder. Any issues and we may need her back to her vet for expression but hopefully we can give a bit of encouragement to get her going here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**