Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 week old pup treated for worms 14 days ago. she has

Customer Question
12 week old pup...

12 week old pup treated for worms 14 days ago. she has periods of runny poop with fresh blood almost everyday. I just found what looked like 2 maggots in a fresh stool. I watched her poop this time. They were fat like maggots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Willow- shes a yorkie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Willow-?

She is coughing. was coughing when I got her. My vet said her throat was red and inflamed. She has been on a course of anti- biotics for the past 2 weeks. She is still coughing but not as badly.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What wormer was used?

Did her stool changes before or after the antibiotic?

How much blood do you see (spoonful, more or less)?

What color is the stool?

Does she have any wounds around her rectum?

Hi there,
I'm not sure what wormer was used. My vet gave it to her in her rooms. It was brown- almost like a piece of kibble.
Her stool was okay when we got her - a little soft but not runny. Once the anti-biotic was started it became runny.
Her stool looks a normal colour but there is about a teaspoon of fresh red blood in her stool. Not every stool is runny- but there is a runny stool everyday. The firmer stools have mucous but I don't see blood.
She has no wounds around her rectum.
I have seen bits of tapeworm in her stool also - small like pieces of rice and they are dead.
Her anti-biotic is finished and I gave her the last cortisone this morning. This was for the kennel cough. She coughs but not nearly as much as she was.

Hello again,

Given your description and provided you are sure she has passed these worms (flies/maggots can get to stools quickly and be mistaken as having been in the GI), we'd be most suspicious of small roundworms here for Willow. Therefore, it is worth ringing her vet to see what wormer they used and as it has been 2 weeks plan to follow up with an alternative option (as this may be a case of wormer resistance). And we can use Drontal, Milbemax or even Advantage Multi Spot-on to just make sure we are removing any resistant worms.

Otherwise, with regards ***** ***** stools, it sounds like she has a mild colitis (especially with the blood/mucus) and if it started after her cortisone (which can dampen the immune system and upset the gut) and antibiotics (which can effect the good gut bacteria) it could be secondary to those. With that in mind, it would be worth trying her with an OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora). We can also use that with fiber (ie canned pumpkin) or OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)) to firm those loose stools quicker. Or there are kaolin/probiotic combination pastes (ie, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber) that are all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon and could be used to soothe this. And as we use those, we could also try Willow on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. So, those would be our ideal bases to cover here for Willow.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian