Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’m house sitting for a very elderly dog who just was

Customer Question
Hi there! I’m house...

Hi there! I’m house sitting for a very elderly dog who just was groomed and he was standing up for three hours. The owners said he could be sore so I gave him half of a tramadol at 8pm. He is still whining and I’m wondering if I can give him another half?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

The dogs name is ***** ***** he is 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphy?

He has trouble getting around on his back legs and has arthritis - is also blind and deaf

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How much does Murphy weigh { In pounds } ?

Ok great, thank you so much! Murphy weighs 16 pounds

Thanks for that, just starting to type out your reply now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The usual sort of dose rate I would recommend for a dog in Murphy's age group and position would be 2 mg per pound of bodyweight given orally twice a day. This works out as a top dose of 32 mg in Murphy's case. However this drug { Tramadol } has a high margin of safety in the dog so you could give him another 1/4 tablet now assuming you have a 50 mg tablet.

2. Please follow this link for an accurate article on how Tramadol is used in dogs including dose rates etc. : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Murphy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Awesome! I will go ahead and give him another 1/4 dose. Thanks so much again!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Murphy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Tramadol dose rates ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Dr. Scott!
Thanks for checking in. :)
He’s much better now thanks to your advice! He’s showing no symptoms of pain.
Thanks so much again!

No problem, so glad Murphy is feeling better ...

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott