Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was throwing up a few days ago, at first she threw up…

Customer Question
My dog was throwing...

My dog was throwing up a few days ago, at first she threw up food day two no vomit and day three vomit with blood. She went to vet who gave her anti nausea shot and pepto-like meds for home home. Since she's been home she's eating boiled chicken and rice and drinking (I've made sure to put water in her chicken and rice mixture-no more throwing up no bowel issues other than things at a little slower than normal but she appears lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

My other dog began throwing up, but I started her on chicken and rice and she hasn't thrown up anymore

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
They both had nexguard flea treatments. Same dog food, same water bowls.....
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

So, has your originally unwell dog settled? What is the medication she is on specifically?

With regard to the other one, can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

The originally sick dog has not thrown up since the day three blood throw up. I'm not sure what the injection medication was called but it was an anti nausea injection. The other med she is on is sulcralfate. And one other med she is on is famotadine. Both are keeping food down now. They are both eating chicken and rice. Gums are pink and smooth. The first dog that got sick is just acting lethargic. Right now the fact that she's "not herself" is my concern. Could it be from the meds?

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that the first dog is improving and you were right to put the second dog on the light diet. Though we should also get her onto an antacid as well. Famotidine is Pepcid, so if you don't have much of the first dog's treatment left then you can pick that up at any local grocery store. We can give Pepcid/Famotidine at a dose of 0.25-0.5mg per pound of body weight.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** lethargy, non of the medications you noted should have caused that and its likely just due to her body fighting off this infection. So, we'd just want to keep up on supportive care, light diet and make sure she keeps drinking well; but that should settle within the week provided the treatment has nipped the cause of this GI upset in the bud. Else we'd need to think about bloods +/- xrays to ensure there was nothing more ongoing that we needed to address for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian