Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was diagnosed with diabetes but I think she is eating…

Customer Question
She was diagnosed with...

She was diagnosed with diabetes but I think she is eating mouse pop and pee she drinks and can't hold her pee we give her a shot every morning and now at night to but still has the problem could it be the mouse pop and pee that is causing this please let me know asap she is my baby and I am very worried about her. Her name is ***** ***** she is a husky and is have a hard time gaining weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brandy?

Just what I wrote

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

While a dog can certainly get infections and parasites from mouse urine / feces ingestion, I would not anticipate an innappropriate diabetes mellitus diagnosis from anything they could catch. Increased drinking and urination is typical of diabetes, as is weight loss. It takes time to get diabetes well regulated, often months. You're best route is to continue closely working with your veterinarian on managing the diabetes. If you haven't mentioned the history of the mouse urine / feces ingestion you should mention it. I would recommend fecal parasite testing, monthly parasite control, and other recommendations depending on her other labwork - for example if liver and/or kidney values are abnormal leptospirosis titers (an infection that could be obtained from ingesting mouse urine) might be suggested.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.