Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is having diarrhea and vomiting. Pitbull. He drunk dirty…

Customer Question
He is having diarrhea...

He is having diarrhea and vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Pitbull

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Pitbull eat anything unusual?

He drunk dirty water that I use to wash the dishes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name and age?

Spidi, he's 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name?

Also I feed him with mackerel from the can.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Also I?

Not that I'm aware of and this is the first time for my dog to get sick like this.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Spidi is unwell, hopefully this is something minor, but of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.

But that said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea and vomiting in the dog which some owners try while waiting for their vet's appointment. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water and is drinking.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, one tablespoon twice a day should be fine for a dog of your one's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Spidi's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Spidi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott