Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vet said Parvo. No vomiting, diarrhea, said to give him

Customer Question
Vet said Parvo. No...

Vet said Parvo. No vomiting, diarrhea, said to give him Pedialyte

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Paco 6 months 4pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paco?

No. His vet said it's Parvo

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Paco. How did your vet diagnose parvo? Was a stool sample used to test for it? Why did they test for it if he's not vomiting or having diarrhea? Is he eating normally?

They did use stool sample. Did a visual check. No he isn't eating normally, not even when offered his favorite foods...Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream and sugar smacks. Didn't really eat yesterday...not at all today...did drink a little bit of water on his own this afternoon. I told them about his brother (which my brother had) poor baby passed away)
No phone call please, I don't have 28$to spend on that.

I'm sorry for the phone call prompt. That was the system and not myself. So a litter mate passed from parvo most likely? Are you questioning what you need to do at home for him?

sir, as we don't want him to pass. He is our little prince and love him to pieces. I read peptobismol and things just want to make sure
Sorry for my delay as my internet had a huge hiccup. Is he drinking the water that you offering.
He did this afternoon, but I force fed him Pedialyte
This evening. That's oky, I'm a bit busy too. Kids, sick pup, and making dinner
Parvovirus is definitely a very serious disease. You have unfortunately seen with the littermate how it can be fatal. There isn't a specific treatment for it but it is more supportive care based on the clinical signs. As lon as there is no vomiting, then assisted watering and feeding may be enough to keep up hydration and nutrition. When vomiting starts, then antinausea medication from your vet along with IV supportive care would be best.

I'm sorry for my delays in response as I had an emergency come up at work. Here is a great link on parvo virus that talks about the therapy for it. I want to try and answer all your questions as best as I can so please let me know what I can address.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=580

Can I give him Peptobismol? Tylenol?

I wouldn't give Pepto as it really doesn't do anything for this viral infection. Tylenol is an absolute no. It can actually be a toxicity if they get too much of it. The at home care for parvo involves letting them rest, assisting them to eat / drink, time and any other medications sent home by the veterinarian. Did your vet discuss how they wanted to treat it after the diagnosis?

How is Paco doing at this time?

Paco has stated eating on his own on sunday. Sunday night he starting playing here an there, but got tired out quickly. Today it really did seem like he was back to himself eating, drinking, playing all day. Just a bit ago I had to clean up some poo...kinda chunky and a Lil bit water but you can tell it's trying to firm up. He is resting in his bed at this moment. He was limp and lifeless for a few days, only walking when he had too, but you could tell he was breathing. You think the worst is over?
His vet said to give him Pedialyte, and let him rest. Offer food but if he doesn't eat it that's ok, just push the fluids.
If the vomiting has resolved and he's starting to eat and drink - then it would seem the worst is over. Hopefully with further rest and time, he'll be back to his normal self! When they get through it, they have no residual or longneck term issues!
That's great!! I hope he is through the worse of it. In my 200 I saved my white pit with blue eyes from Parvo too, but she was way worse then he was...I got really scared cause he's so tiny...only 3 pounds at almost 7 months old. Can he get it again, or is he now immune to parvo?

Love the pictures of the little guy! Once they get over it, they won't get it again as they have in a way built up the ultimate immunity to it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

How is Paco doing at this time? I'm curious to hear!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian