Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old lab/mix has a "diagnosed" fatty tumor under…

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is***** My 12 year old lab/mix has a "diagnosed" fatty tumor under the right arm. Saw the vet 3 times in 2017 so far. Even though the tumor is growing and is now the size of a softball

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Hang on a minute please. Let me finish, just another sentence or 2. The vet says not to worry if it is not interfering with his gait. The darn thing seems to be growing noticeably each day. I fear a rupture or worse. We are in the middle of a long distance home move. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is very stressed due to the move (1200) miles. Hasnt eaten in 48 hours.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, Doug. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you. While its good that the lump is a benign lipoma, if it is growing it needs to be removed as soon as possible. Lipomas in that area can get quite big and eventually cause difficulty walking but also ulcerate/rupture through the skin. And often at that stage we cannot really remove it all and some dogs are euthanized for that. Therefore, if your lad is otherwise healthy and it is still small enough to get out, then it would be best to do so now (or even remove as much as we can to slow its causing him issue) to ensure we head off and avoid problems with it as it grows.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**