Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 10lb poodle who has to have heart medicine. I

Customer Question
We have a 10lb...

We have a 10lb poodle who has to have heart medicine. I grabbed the wrong pill and gave her 325 mg of hyrocod/acetam generic for Norco. what do I need to do to get this fixed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She is acting fine right now, but I am not sure what this medication is going to do to her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Not her, she has to take 4 pills a day for heart problem and her kidneys.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Chanel and 16 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chanel?

She takes heart and kidney pills along with dementia pill twice a day.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Please confirm that this pill contains 5 mg hydrocodone and 325 mg of acetaminophen. I suspect it does and, if so, Chanel should remain safe. I might dose hydrocodone at as much as 0.5 mg/lb or 5 mg for her. Acetaminophen doesn't become toxic until 70 mg per pound of body weight is ingested - 700 mg for Chanel. Hence, I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner and I would expect to see her quite sedated and perhaps ataxic ("drunken sailor") for up to 8 hours. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr Salkin,
According to the label, this is generic for Norco. So except for acting like a "drunken sailor" she should be ok...just need to monitor her closely?

Yes, that's what I expect. She's an advanced geriatric and she isn't going to excrete these drugs as quickly as a much younger dog and so you'll need to be patient with her. I need you to regularly check her vital signs:

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute and greater than 6-8 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

The main reason I didn't recommend inducing emesis is that she has important heart and kidney drugs that need to stay in her. It wouldn't be helpful to empty her stomach if that then decompensated her heart or kidneys. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you sir.

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian