Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hallo Docter it seems like she has milk fever, Sorry: Is…

Customer Question
Hallo Docter it seems...

Hallo Docter it seems like she has milk fever

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sorry my name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No she was perfectly well until a few hours ago i immediately took her away from the pups and started to sponge her off to bring down her fever i scrambled eggs and fed her some

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Her name is ***** ***** is 2 years and 9 months. She is a silky Yorkshire terrier and had her babies ten days ago.
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you so much i will wait

In the approximate order of disease progression/severity of eclampsia ("milk fever") I see anxiety, restlessness, pacing, whining, disinterest in pups, pruritis (itchiness) and biting at feet, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), staggering, and muscle stiffness, panting, progressing to dypsnea (difficulty breathing), mydriasis (wide open pupils) and diminshed pupillary light reflexes, bradycardia (slow heart rate) or tachycardia (rapid heart rate), muscle tremors, collapse; clonic spasms (tetany), and seizures (musculoskeletal signs are often exaggerated with tactile stimulus), hyperthermia, and arrhythmias (irregular heart rates). If you're seeing any combination of the above, it would be prudent to have a vet administer calcium gluconate or calcium borogluconate IV. If that isn't possible, reach for a calcium carbonate-containing antacid such as Tums and give 1/2 of a Tums at 8 hour intervals. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I can not find a vet on call in my area at this stage i am in Vereeniging Gauteng RSA and it is past midnight now. I will see what i i can do for now i took her away from the pups, gave her some yoghurt and scrambled an egg she ate a bit but i hand feed her. She seem ok but i will keep on trying to get an emergency vet. Thank you so much

I understand. Can you find a calcium carbonate-containing antacid...perhaps at an all-night convenience store?