Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a dehydrated duck neck really quickly. I was

Customer Question
going to take it away...
My dog ate a dehydrated duck neck really quickly. I was going to take it away before he finished it, but he was so quick. He's a 5 month old boxer, 30 pounds. Is he going to pass it safely?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. It sounds like you have a very eager puppy on your hand that likes these dehydrated duck necks. Is this going to be a bad situation? Maybe or maybe not. There is no way to know now which road it will go down. To be honest, I would feel that this seems like a very low risk situation. At this time, he is acting normal. If that continues, then it would seem to not be an issue. The bones, cartilage and meat in this duck neck can digest if in the stomach long enough. What you need to watch for is vomiting. If he starts to vomit, he needs to be seen by your vet. If he goes off food for say over a day, that would be another big concern. If he continues to be normal, then waiting and watching is the plan. If my dog of similar size ate something similar, I wouldn't be overly worried.