Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He had bloody stool with mucas in it? His name is apollo and…

Customer Question
He had bloody stool...

He had bloody stool with mucas in it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** i thiink he is about 10 or 11 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Apollo?

No not that i know of i got him from a shelter so i really dont know?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
he eats alot of bones too
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Apollo. If he is eating well, & not lethargic, no vomiting, then this is most likely intestinal parasites.

If you can have his stool evaluated by a veterinarian, then you will know if this is a hookworm, or a whipworm problem, or if Apollo has picked up a coccidian or giardia infection.

For the worms, you can treat with fenbendazole once a day for 3 days. This is available at some of the bigger pet stores, or on line.

If Apollo has coccidian or giardia, this requires antibiotics. Your veterinarian can dispense this.

It is also possible that this is Parvovirus. I have seen it in older, unvaccinated or undervaccinated puppies. This, you will definitely want get help from your veterinarian.

If Apollo is eating OK, you can put him on a bland diet for a couple of days. 25% boiled chicken with 75% white rice often works nicely.

I do not think the bones are the problem if he is still eating well.

Do you have any further questions or concerns?

Hello, again. I see you have viewed my response. Do you have any further questions? How is Apollo doing?

Please do not forget to rate my reply as this is the only way I can receive credit for my time helping you. I would really appreciate this.

Thank you, again.