Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a history of neck and back pain, which has

Customer Question
Hi, my dog has...

Hi, my dog has a history of neck and back pain, which has cropped up over the years. Last night he started acting as if he was in pain and wouldn't eat. I had tramadol left over from a time last year when he was badly injured. I gave him a tablet and later he ate and calmed down a bit, although he seemed a little loaded. This morning he seemed to be feeling somewhat better, he ate, and went out to use the bathroom. When he came back in, he appeared agitated, was panting heavily and wouldn't sit or lay down to rest. Seemed to again be in pain. He won't let me pick him up, yelps when I try to touch him. Wont really come too close, I believe because he's fearful I will touch him, which would hurt. I gave him the second/last tramadol this morning. A couple of hours ago, I gave him 25 mugs of benedryl, hoping he would lay down and rest. However, he is still up walking around, although less frantically. I sent my vet video and they said I must bring him in. I don't have a stretcher or any means to pick him up and/or get him into the car. He is a 25 pound beagle, 11 years old. I believe he needs an anti inflammatory, sedation, and pain meds. This is what has helped in the past. Are there over the counter, or human meds I can give him that would help, since I can't get him to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Huck

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Huck?

No, I think I covered it all in the first section...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

I agree with you thoughts on what will likely be needed. given a history of this, some vets may be ok refilling past medications, especially if prior episodes occurred within the past year, but it is a judgement call. If it's been over a year since he's been in to your local vet a physical examination will be legally required to prescribe anything again. You might try calling and requesting a medication refill if he's been in recently, and ask them to ask the vet if they didn't before, but chances are it's necessary for you to bring him in, which will be the best option for a good assessment anyhow.

I do not recommend any OTC human pain medications as you asked about. They are not safe in general to administer to dogs. Benadryl is safe to give at 25mg by mouth twice daily for this size dog, but do not give any tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. etc.

I'd suggest seeing if you can find someone (neighbor? friend?) to help you get him in. Perhaps getting him to lay on a blanket and wrapping him up to provide more safety and comfort in the transfer into the car might be helpful. You might also be able to purchase a muzzle or borrow one from your vet to put on him to safely be able to pick him up and get him into your car. But this is the ultimate need, you need to figure out how to get him in to the clinic as the best course of action.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian