Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Www.face. Oops sorry. Beagle. He has already been to the…

Customer Question
Oops sorry. Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Oops sorry.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Beagle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Beagle?

He has already been to the vet. He was yelping when I touched his face, neck or paws. The vet said he could have just a pinched nerve or meningitis. 75% of his blood work is back and looks good . We are waiting for Valley Fever test to come back. He is on 5mg of Prednisone,. 11/2 tablets for 5 days, 1 tablet for 5 days and 1/2 tab for 5 days. We are on day 3 of medication and he is improving, does that mean he does not have meningitis? Don't you need further testing to determine meningitis and when would a vet decide to do that text?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Beagle's name?

Blu and he will be 9 in December I trust my vet, just wanting a little more information.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blu?

No, he has been in relatively good health.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Blu today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Prednisone is a steroid and as such decreases inflammation, whatever the cause of the inflammation is. If they is a pinched nerve, it would be expected to be inflammed, hence the pred would be expected to help it. With meningitis, there can be a bacterial or a viral cause, and even if the pred seemed to be helping, unless the organism causing it is treated, he may not improve completely. If the organism is a virus, his own immune system would have to do that, and usually the treatment is symptomatic only. If however, there is a bacterial or fungal cause, they would need to be treated separately with antibiotic or antifungal drugs. The test to definitively diagnose meningitis is a spinal tap, and I would assume your vet would recommend that be done if he is not responding.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z