Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 3 years and 4 months just diagnosis with kidney

Customer Question
He is 3 years...

He is 3 years and 4 months just diagnosis with kidney failure and he is in IV now. Did not want to eat or if he did he threw up. Doctor said without IV he will die in the next few day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I really don't know at this point. My life is falling apart and my heart is broken into pieces

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Taylor a Shih Tzu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Taylor?

Since a puppy Taylor drink a lot of water just like padding water in his mouth

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing by having Taylor be hospitalized on IV fluids. This is something that takes time and repeat monitoring of things like bloodwork and urinalysis to see how things progress, and are often worrisome because of this need for patience. I'm sorry to hear about Taylor, is there a specific question you have regarding Taylor that I might be able to help with? Write me back here and I'll reply as soon as I'm able.