Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 2 year old dog (whoodle) has been a /drooler since early…

Customer Question
Our 2 year old...

Our 2 year old dog (whoodle) has been a swallower/drooler since early on. The first time it happened we thought she might have had a bit of bark stuck and it seemed to settle over the weekend. This has happened a few times. A few weeks ago was a very bad episode where she vomtted blood tinged bile and then for 2 days had tarry stool. We of course brought her to the vet- tx with antibiotic, low acid/fat diet and omeprazole. This seemed to improve the condition, but the swallowing is back now and she is clearly distressed. The vet thinks we should continue with conservative treatment- new drugs (antinausea and stomach protection). Super worried and wondering if this seems like a good course of action or should she be scoped? Bloodwork? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She is a pretty happy, easy going dog. Not a big appetite, not a big water drinker.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I agree with your thinking. I believe that she's recrudescing (relapsing without cure in between events) and such a patient needs to be "worked-up" with diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and if such testing doesn't reveal the etiology of her distress scoping and biopsy should be considered. Scoping and biopsy isn't performed soon enough in too many patients. Your vet might suggest an abdominal ultrasound prior to the more invasive scoping and biopsy. There's nothing wrong with that idea but there's a good chance that even if the ultrasound "sees" abnormal bowels, scoping and biopsy will be needed to clarify the abnormality. Pancreatitis, hepatitis, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocortisolism), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and one of the many colitides need to be considered in such a patient.

If there are recent test results for me to review, I'd like to do so. I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?