Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It does not eat unless I put some ground beef or coat the…

Customer Question
It does not eat...

It does not eat unless I put some ground beef or coat the food with chicken broth. I have tried several brands of food. Lamb, beef. If I left the kibbles only it will take almost three day for him to eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Chance

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chance?

No. I just took him for his annual exam the Vet did not find anything wrong with him. She said to try Purina brand or Science something.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
Grettings, I'm Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice.Did your veterinarian check any bloodwork with the recent visit?
No she did not.
Ok. Give me a minute to type my reply...
My first instinct with this presentation is not to suspect something is wrong with the dog. You've stated it will eat, it's just very finicky/picky. That being said, I'd check a full physical examination (sounds like this has been done) and some routine bloodwork to screen for any evidence of disease. If other concerns show up, such as vomiting or diarrhea or refusal to eat any food including the tastier stuff you normally get her to eat, then there is more concern. Not all types of gastrointestinal disease show up well on routine bloodwork. So if things progress your vet may recommend other diagnostics, such fecal parasite testing, urinalysis, special bloodwork tests, or imaging as examples, depending on how things progress. That being said, I see this type of thing all the time in perfectly healthy animals. I liken it to a human child refusing their vegetables but willing eating chocolate cake - some dogs are pickier than others. If this is the case, you want to be careful to not encourage this picky eating by being her enabler. Every time she refuses one type of food long enough for you to offer some tasty chicken or beef or lamb etc, you're enforcing that behavior and it will be more difficult to break. That being said, their is nothing wrong with home cooked meals if that is the route you want to go - if so, ask you vet for advice on who to work with to come up with a balanced diet plan (I work through nutritionists at tufts university, your vet may have other recommendations). Another option I'd consider would be canned food. You could go with one of the brands your vet suggested (Purina or science diet) in a canned food formulation. Given your dog seems to like chicken / beef / lamb over dry kibble, you might be able to find a canned diet she'll accept. Be careful you don't let her wrap you around her paw so to speak. This direction concerns me when it occurs in heathy dogs as we end up with a dog that is sick someday that really needs to eat, and we have a hard time getting them to eat when they feel good, so a really hard time getting them to eat while they are ill! She will eat when she is hungry, sometimes it comes down to a battle of who is more stubborn. ;) Good luck to you, this is a common concern, consider checking some bloodwork and going from their with your veterinarian.Let me know if you have followup questions or comments, write me back here and I'll reply as I'm able.Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars so that I receive credit for helping with your question today. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.