Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 month female puppy. A friend of mine asked me to…

Customer Question
I have a 9 month...
I have a 9 month female puppy. A friend of mine asked me to come and help him tonight to help rescue a stray dog. The dog clearly had been on its own for awhile with feces on his rear, not neutered and not sure what else might have been going on with him. My friend wanted me take the dog over night. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment whereas he lives in a house with an extra room for the pup so his 3 other dogs wouldn't have to interact with him. I was afraid to bring the dog here because of my living arrangements but especially because of my puppy. I need to know if I made the right decision.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
My puppy is vaccinated but does that mean she is fully protected? Or does it take some time for the vaccines to take full effect?
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your question was not picked up sooner.

While your pup may have been vaccinated against diseases like Parvo, there are other things to worry about such as parasites and protazoa a dog like this may carry. This mean that if this dog eliminated in the same area that your dog does , then those parasites, protazoa can be in your soil. There are some that live in the soil for years which means your dog can be reinfected. If you have children they too can become infected.

People often think about diseases such as parvo as being a problem, but parasites and protazoa can do harm to family pets or children as well.

Most people use a standard heartworm meds for their dogs. These standard types do not kill other parasites.

If the dog was showing any other signs of illness, then it is best when you have pets or children , to find a shelter or a vet before taking it in.

Hi Ellen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant