Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I asked a question about my cockapoo several hours ago and

never received a response. I...
I asked a question about my cockapoo several hours ago and never received a response. I would like to know why when she simply goes outside, squats and pees and immediately returns to the house she smells so badly. What causes this and how do I stop it?
9/29/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I looked at your list of questions and do not see where a question like that was ever posted. There may be a few different causes for the odor you are smelling. One might be that your cockapoo has a urinary tract infection leading to some urine remaining on the vulva and the strong odor associated with a UTI lingering. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

Another possible cause would be anal gland issues that are not emptying with bowel movements and when your dog applies pressure to urinate and some of the fluid from the anal glands seeps out. The fluid in the anal glands smells and can vary from mild to a very strong fecal odor.

Now a dog can also develop a yeast dermatitis in the vulva area which can lead to a musty odor in the area but that would not only be detected after urination but would be present all the time.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

The odor is all over her body. Her hair smells. I also have a Yorkiepoo that will smell the same way and my new daughter-in-law's dog and also comes in sometime smelling like that. My daughter that lives two hours away has a Maltese/Jack Russell that she says does the same thing she walks him outside on a leash to P and get right back in and he smells. So what could this possibly be and how the heck to we stop it. This is not something new for any of the dogs except my daughter in laws dog who came to Maryland from West Virginia. This is been going on for years. So if it was an infection like a UTI all of these dogs would be very sick now

Thanks for the additional information. Your question above stated that the dog smells badly after she returns inside from urinating. There was no indication that there were multiple dogs who all have the same symptom of body odor after going outside.

It might be that there is a type of grass in the yard that transfers an odor to the dogs after they have walked outside. Depending on the amount of dogs eliminating in the yard, the dirt itself may be retaining an odor. If that is the case, applying lime to the yard may help eliminate any odor in the soil and help prevent transfer to the dogs.

Since it is not just one or two dogs but a lot of dogs, I would look to a problem in the yard and not the actual dogs.

jadedangel57

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlotte. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner