Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my toy poodle 25mg of acepromazine, she weighs 14…

Customer Question
i gave my toy poodle...
i gave my toy poodle 25mg of acepromazine, she weighs 14 lbs, she is not able to walk, 17 y/o, what should I do?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did you give this drug { How minutes or hours ago } ?

I gave it to her at 4:40pm for sedation for my pet groomer, to realizing the dose.

Sorry I am not in your time zone, please tell me how many minutes or hours ago the tablet was given.

9 h

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The usual top dose of Acepromazine for a dog of Lucy's weight would be 21 mg so 25 mg is not so far from this but the problem you face is it is likely to hit older dogs harder.

2. While this sort of dose will cause very marked sedation this drug is known to have a high margin of safety in the dog so it could well be that if you just continue to monitor Lucy that she will gradually return to normal over the next 24 to 48 hours as the drug gradually works it's way out of her system. That said if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing then you should have a vet check her over ASAP, they will be better placed to support her with IV fluids etc.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lucy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank You so much, I will f/u with my vet.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Acepromazine concerns ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

She's at the Vet, on fluids, waking up, she is able to sit up, not eating yet, not standing yet, she is anemic and had heart failure mitral valve. Due to age though. I will probably pick her up in am, keeping close eye and when her time is up I will have to accept. But the vet will also talk with me for rx on heart condition

Thanks for the update, sorry she is still not 100%, you are certainly doing the right thing though ...

Good luck ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

No problem. I haven't received that email yet. I would be happy to do so, I'm a compliment type not complainer ��

No problem, the main thing is the welfare of Lucy ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian