Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 11 months and won't eat and has puked 5 times since…

Customer Question
She is 11 months...

She is 11 months and won't eat and has puked 5 times since 7am. She isn't her excited self

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of...she won't eat peanut butter or small prices of sausage...i am trying to get her to drink water

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Hazy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Hazy who has been vomiting. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Hazy today to cause this vomiting, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case, as this has been going on all day, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Hazy, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure Hazy has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Hazy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If you think your girl is still quite nauseous, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Hazy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Her gums are fine..salmon color and color comes back quickly....she is shivering a little

Thanks, ***** ***** hear her gum color is currently ok. You will need to continue to keep an eye on her overnight if you can. If she continues to vomit, then it is quite likely she will become badly dehydrated, so if that is the case, please do get her seen tonight if you can. The pepcid may go some way to helping her in the meantime.

All the best,

Dr E

She drank water and puked 5 minutes later. Anything this means?

This is a real concern in terms of potential dehydration. If she can't keep water down, she will very quickly become dehydrated as you can imagine. IV fluids administered by your local vet or ER vet at this point will be particularly important.

This sort of vomiting could be a sign of a gastric foreign body causing an obstruction. Hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have ingested that could cause a blockage (such as a stone, bone, toy or even material).

If you can get her seen now, that would be the best way forward.

Dr E

How is your girl doing today? Did you get her to your local vet this morning or last night?
Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian