Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an almost 4 month of English bulldog and he’s been…

Customer Question
I have an almost...

I have an almost 4 month of English bulldog and he’s been literally trying to eat EVERYTHING. I think he may have eaten something he shouldn’t have but I’m not sure what it is. He’s is now restless, has diarrhea, and upon completion of his last 2 trips to the bathroom I have noticed 2 or 3 drops of blood either on or close to his stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Boogie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boogie?

He had giardia when we first got him and had since completed the meds and has been having well formed stool for about 2 weeks now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Boogie vomiting?

Have any diagnostics been performed by your vet?

No vomitting. We got results from the follow up stool test and he still have giardia. I’ve heard sometimes it takes 2 rounds of the medicine to completely get rid of the giardia

Is he still eating and drinking well for you?

Absolutely. I can’t go into the kitchen without him thinking it’s time to eat.
He is drinking fine as well.

Bloody stool can certainly still be a sign of giardiasis, but it can also be a sign of eating something he should not have eaten, as you mentioned. Ideally, a vet visit is warranted since you're seeing bloody stool. Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home. The best approach for addressing the diarrhea with blood is going to be a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse