Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshund ate 10 cinnamon raisin bagels this morning.

Customer Question
My dachshund ate 10...

My dachshund ate 10 cinnamon raisin bagels this morning. Went to the vet but they couldn't induce vomiting. Now she is barely walking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

She’s just laying in her house. Won’t move

What treatment was started following the bagel ingestion? Did your vet only attempt to induce vomiting? Did they perform any bloodwork?

Just tried to induce vomiting but she couldn’t vomit. They gave her iv fluids and I took her home. She pooped a little bit this morning but hasn’t eaten in 24 hours and just wants to lay in her bed

I imagine with her having consumed 10 bagels, she's probably very uncomfortable. That's a great deal of food for such a small dog, not to mention the risk of toxicity from the grapes.

Did your vet perform any bloodwork?

Did they administer activated charcoal?

Have you witnessed any vomiting at home?

How long after ingestion did she visit the vet?

Went to the vet 30 minutes to an hour after ingesting bagels. No blood work no charcoal no vomit or diarrhea. Poop was normal today

I would highly recommend bloodwork. Raisins can be a severe, even fatal, toxin for dogs and renal failure occurring after the ingestion of raisins can occur within a few days time (usually 24-48 hours from ingestion). Baseline bloodwork would be warranted, at very least, and GI medication to help avoid the potential GI upset that often comes with eating raisins. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. are common symptoms, as well, which we typically see within 12-24 hours after the ingestion.

My advice to you would be a recheck examination with your vet, baseline bloodwork and allowing them to observe her. Pain medication may be needed if she's to the point of being uncomfortable and unwilling to walk.

At home, you can also administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications).

I would give her at least 12 hours fasting time before offering her food or any great volume of water. This will give the bagels time to begin digesting, the famotidine should calm her stomach and she should be more comfortable. At that time, I would start with boiled rice and chicken breast a few tablespoons per hour to be sure she does not vomit. If her symptoms persist, she absolutely must be rechecked and bloodwork should be run to check her kidney function, at very least.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse