Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Difficulty walking -- weak rear legs; tremors; drinks a lot…

Customer Question
Difficulty walking -- weak...

Difficulty walking -- weak rear legs; tremors; drinks a lot of water, runny nose; raspy cough; heavy breathing; larthargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Australian shepherd/border collie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the collie. What is the collie's name and age?

Casey; age 13

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Did he get into anything?

3- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?

4- How long has this been going on?

No pre-existing conditions.
I don't know if she got into anything because I have been out of the country for a week. My husband had her outside laying on the grass for several afternoons. It might have been warm here. She is drinking more than usual. This condition has been going on for about one week. I did notice that she had difficulty walking up steps for the past month or so but not the other symptoms until this past week. Her legs were becoming weaker.
All her shots are up-to-date since her last vet appointment which was in July 2017.

I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. When a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign of an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The weakness in her back legs could be secondary to being ill or she could have arthritis of the spine, hips or a combination of these. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. I strongly recommend having her checked this morning. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian