Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just came upstairs from 1 hour sauna. Stella black

Customer Question
Just came upstairs from...

Just came upstairs from 1 hour sauna. Stella black lab/border collie mix 13 yrs old, has got peaches down from fridge - has eaten 5-7. Looks like 3-5 pits. Cdn peaches ripe not huge, Stella is 13 yrs, 20 kegs, 43 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Border collie will be able to digest that. What is the Border collie's name?

Stella (half lab, one the 20% that are crazy hungry with gene issue. Don't think a pit can be dissolved.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

Good health, just fully recovered from 2nd knee replacement. Daughter is a vet in California, called, she suggested you because she did not know about pits, Stella currently on cartophen 1 x / mo, plus metacam 18 mg every day w breakfast.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Since this is a potential foreign body obstruction if the pits were not chewed (not enough to be toxic with her size) I would advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (1 tbsp & 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the object please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 2-3 pieces of bread now

- Take a nice walk to help move the pits through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the pits coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Stella to see if there were any issues with the pits or if you were able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!