Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is pooping diarreah every few mins. And it looks…

Customer Question
My puppy is pooping...

My puppy is pooping diarreah every few mins. And it looks red like blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?

Frisco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frisco?

He is 8 wks. Playing fine. Very active. Eating and drinking plenty of water

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your puppy is showing gi upset. Unfortunately I am very concerned about parvovirus. Please get him to your veterinarian or a veterinary er to test for this and beginning treatment should be prudent. There is now a home therapy option for parvo but it does require a veterinary visit and medications dispensed by your veterinarian or the er.

Even if there is a current vaccination if exposed before vaccination this is still a viable possibility. If you chose to decline this route then please see below but again this is very strongly recommended. Puppies simply don't have the reserves of adult dogs and vomiting water in addition to bloody stools there is going to decline rapidly without medical intervention.

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools and straining to defecate

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright, even if around your yard or home is fine

Indications your puppy should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that continues to include blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Again even with one vaccination there is a risk for Parvovirus and this is the time of year that it is rampant in this country. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!