Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has loss of appetitte and energy and drools on one side…

Customer Question
He has loss of...

He has loss of appetitte and energy and drools on one side his mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy and a little more than a a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Buddy?

He will be two in april

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

He doesnt eat or drink he just wants to lay around and normally he very playful we dry giving him water with a baby suringe

does he have parvo or rabies?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

he is under my kids bed and he not eating but slowly trying to drink water

How old is he?

How many vaccines has he had from your vet?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

he is one turning two in april and he has not had any shots cause the lady we got him from said that he had his first set of shot but im not sure and he's not vomiting or having diarrhea either .

The avoidance of food and the drooling indicates nausea. If he had only one set of vaccines this means that he never completed his puppy series and has also not received a rabies vaccine. This needs to be done once he's healthy again. I cannot tell you that he doesn't have parvo or rabies. Parvo would be more likely and rabies is more likely in a situation where a companion animal has recently been bitted by or killed a wild animal. I would urge you to see your vet for diagnostics and treatment.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications).

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

he is drinking and eating a little bit and he is kinda being his normal self but he mouth really stinks like it smells raw and he has a small little wound on his paw but i put peroxide
on it and rapped it up

You may also want to use a small amount of Neosporin on the wound before wrapping. It will not only help to prevent infection but it will also keep the wound from sticking to the wrapping if you aren't using a non-stick pad.

i did put a little bit on there

Excellent. Let me know if I can assist you further.

ok

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse