Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's peeing and pooping all over the house. :( 16 year old…

Customer Question
He's peeing and pooping...

He's peeing and pooping all over the house. :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

16 year old Beagle

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the beagle's name?

Reggie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Reggie?

He has started lapping up his own urine, if i can't get to the puddle soon enough.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Reggie. I'm sorry to hear your old fella is having accidents in the house. This happens a lot as they get older. It is thought that they often try to drink their own urine puddle because they "know" they aren't supposed to be peeing in the house.

Some dogs will drink their urine if they are not getting enough water.

Are you noticing any other symptoms with Reggie - such as decreased appetite, vomiting, or drinking and peeing more frequently than before?

No other symptoms. I know he is craving water, he barks at the bathroom door while I take a shower! For the first time ever, I found him drinking out of the toilet. I do ration his water, because of the constant peeing (4 times in 3 hours today). But if he's peeing that much, isn't he getting plenty of water?
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

Well, it would seem like it I know, but, most of the time when we see these symptoms here is what is happening:

They cannot concentrate their urine so they pee ALL the time, but its NOT because they are drinking too much. Its because their urine can't concentrate (like when you go first thing in the mornings its really strong). So essentially they have to try and drink more and more and more to make up for all the fluid loss through the urine, but they can't. So they live in a constant state of dehydration and they feel thirsty all the time.

So, for Reggie, he is trying to drink out of the toilet and trying to drink his own urine because he feels thirsty!

I would gently suggest not restricting his water intake because its not really going to help the peeing situation, its only going to make him more thirsty.

There are several diseases that cause these symptoms. The most common ones are diabetes and kidney disease. Kidney disease usually makes them feel punky and eat less. Diabetes usually presents with just drinking and peeing a lot.

My suggestion is to have Reggie into your vet as soon as possible to have some bloodwork done. That will give you an answer as to why he is doing what he is doing. With kidney disease and diabetes - these are manageable, but not curable issues. There are other possibilities as well, but in an older pet, we may never completely resolve symptoms.

I hope this helps. Its so hard when they get older and have symptoms that are difficult to deal with. A 16 year old Beagle is amazing though - good job getting him to such an old age!

Please post back with further questions!

Dr. Snow

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow