Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's been sneezing a lot more than normal (like not just…

Customer Question
He's been sneezing a...

He's been sneezing a lot more than normal (like not just when he gets excited) and the coughing a little bit, he even had a weird inverted sneeze yesterday. And then he's having diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Pit/Lab Mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the pit's name and age?

Bo and about 8months to a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bo?

10months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bo?

He was abused and Abandoned, I toom him off the streets Aug. 1st. He had all of his shots and received a clean bill of heath

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any nasal discharge?

2- Is he eating and drinking?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Okay. He also has seem to continue having a big appetite. and I have not seen him vomit. He's a sniffer so his nose is always a little extra wet. I've noticed when he sniffs a lot outside it can be white ish on the sides of his nose, but other then that It's clear. And he has not gotten into anything nor ate of the ordinary recently.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Any blood in the diarrhea?

3- Any other symptoms?

He weighs about 63 lbs. Last night it was midnight in the backyard when he had it so I couldn't tell. And he just had it again within the last hour all over my mom's carpet in her closet and she had obviously tried to clean it up immediately. So i have no idea on that one. The symptoms I've noticed are the diarrhea and the excessive sneezing and snoring.
apparently he just drank a lot of water 20 min ago. i've also been advised that maybe canned pumpkin could help his stools?

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone request. Thank you.

Sumner, the diarrhea and sneezing are two separate issues. Excessive sneezing can be caused by allergies, debris/dust, an infection, a foreign body in the nasal cavity, etc. As far as diarrhea this can be caused by parasites, infections, dietary indiscretion, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow him to breathe the vapor for 3-5 minutes; this will help clear his nasal passages.

5 If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian