Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She just cracked her duclaw pretty bad and seems to be very…

Customer Question
She just cracked her...

She just cracked her duclaw pretty bad and seems to be very uncomfortable. i cannot get her into the vet until 10am tomorrow morning. Can I give her Trazadone to help her relax? It was prescribed by her vet for when I have to bring her in to have her nails cut. I was planning on giving it to her anyway. i have 100mg tablets. Can I give her two now and two in the morning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

If she was I would have brought her over as an emergency

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 4

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How much does your dog weigh?

60lbs

Okay thanks for the additional information. Since she has been prescribed that medication before and based on his weight. That should be fine to give to her at that dose. Is the nail bleeding at all?

No bleeding
I wrapped it loosely with a clean ace bandage, so she doesn't tear at it anymore.

Okay that is good that it is not bleeding. That drug can be given as frequently as 3 times daily if necessary as long as it doesn't make her drowsy.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian