Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

13 year old bearded collie has arthritis. Arthritis. Back…

Customer Question
Hi 13...

Hi 13 year old bearded collie has arthritis

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the beard collie?

Arthritis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the beard collie seem to hurt?

Back and front leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the beard collie's name?

Montgomery

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Montgomery?

Only that he was fine last week even rolling on the florr to clean his beard He is also now the last 2 days been given predale

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Has your vet diagnosed arthritis with Montgomery? What medication is he currently on?

loxicom. tramadol and the last 2 days predale i think thats what it is called sorry
Don't worry about not knowing the names. They can start to blur. The loxicam is a NSAID and the tramadol is an opiod. Of these two, the tramadol is the one that can have a wide range of dosing and it may have room to increase its amount or frequency. Typically the NSAID is dosed at a maximum to begin with - and used once a day. The predale is the one that isn't ringing a bell. Arthritis is something that is progressive. The medications are geared up to keep them as comfortable as possible. At some point though, they can loose the ability to control the discomfort. Gabapentin and glucosamine supplementation are things to consider adding into his current medications.
Here is a very good link on canine arthritis managementhttp://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=587As far as alternative therapies, some feel acupuncture or laser therapy can be of benefit too.
Pardale v is the new one
Alright. I finally was able to find that drug. Tylenol with codeine. That is a combination therapy for arthritis. The use of the gabapentin and the glucosamine supplementation could be added in.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian