Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Rusty, a Papillion, has a broken dew claw. The nail is

Rusty, a Papillion, has...

Rusty, a Papillion, has a broken dew claw. The nail is broKen but still attached. My best guess to describe it, I'd if you broke a nail where the moon in your nail is... I noticed it today, because he had a wet paw due to licking it. But he isn't limping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

The rest of his foot is fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

It's just the nail. Rusty, he is about... 4 or 5 years old I think.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rusty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rusty?

No. I just want to know if I should take him to a vet. I'd like to send a picture, if it were possible. To give better visual on what is going on with Rusty. There isn't any blood.

9/28/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow Rusty has a broken dewclaw nail.
Once that happens it is painful, the fractured nail will move and place sharp pressure on the quick, and it won't re-adhere. The broken nail piece needs to be removed. If we don't remove it he will understandably want to lick, because it hurts, which introduces bacteria into the raw quick, and the quick will be traumatized by the loose nail and his licking. Both of these things can lead to a painful secondary infection in the nailbed.
He doesn't need to be seen on an emergency basis, tomorrow is fine if you can't have him seen today. But he would see his veterinarian as soon as possible to have the nail removed before the quick gets infected.
He can have water until tomorrow morning, but no more food after 7pm tonight and no breakfast tomorrow as they will likely need to sedate him to trim off the fractured nail and cauterize the quick.
If he is licking a lot today (he is if his paw is wet) I do recommend placing an elizabethan collar (lampshade collar) on him to stop him from traumatizing the nail bed further and causing an infection.
Best of luck with your fellow and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for the picture. That sounds great, poor fellow, that looks sore!

Approximately how much would this cost to get treated? I understand you won't know all vet prices, but could you give me a ball park, please?

Prices will depend upon where you live (NYC & San Francisco will be much more than a small town in Alabama), and whether your pup needs a light sedation or full anesthesia to remove the nail and whether the nail bed looks infected once the nail is removed, and whether this can be done on an outpatient basis or not.

Expect to pay for an exam ($50-75), +/- preop bloodwork (if full sedation needed, $65+?), tranquilizer/sedation ($35-70+), nail trim/removal ($25?), hospitalization ($15? if full anesthesia) and maybe antibiotics to go home $20-30 (small dog).

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Ok thank you so much for your help!

You are very welcome.